A public school is open to all children and there is not taught from a particular religion or belief. The public schools are open to all children regardless of religion or ideology whatsoever.
Within the special education most schools are Catholic or Protestant Christian. Also, there are generally special schools, which are not based on a particular view of life, there is no distinction between the students: everyone is welcome from any conviction or color whatsoever. The competent authority is not the church, but a school board, that most general-denominational schools entirely or partially comprised of parents and the rest of expert volunteers, who are paid no monetary compensation, but are working out of idealism with education. The involvement of such a government with education is so great as it concerns their own children! Moreover, there are no long policies; it can be quickly decided.
Some schools organize their teaching according to certain educational and / or teaching methods, such as Montessori, Dalton, Freinet and Jena Plan. These schools can be public but also assume a certain worldview. Furthermore, there are Jews in the Netherlands, Islamic, Hindu, Humanist and free schools. The free school is based on the anthroposophic spiritual science of Rudolf Steiner.
These schools are divided into four clusters:
- school children who are blind or visually impaired
- schools for multiply handicapped visually impaired children
- schools for children who are deaf
- schools for children with hearing loss
- schools for multiply handicapped deaf or hearing-impaired children
- schools for children with severe speech and / or language difficulties
- schools for children with learning difficulties
- schools for multiply disabled children with learning difficulties
- schools for chronically ill children with somatic problems
- schools for children with physical disabilities
- schools for multiply disabled children with physical disabilities
- schools for children with severe problems in behavior, with developmental problems and / or psychiatric problems, LZK with psychiatric problems)
There are public and private schools for special education.