Efficiency light bulb, energy saving lamp, LED light and fluorescent lamp

Science justunlivae August 8, 2016 0 0
Lamps provide light that is a fact. But also lamps radiate warmth. This feel when you touch the lamp. That heat is actually lost energy. A lamp receives energy within and a part thereof is converted into light. We call this the efficiency of a lamp. The remaining portion is useless and then shuts off, in the form of heat. The efficiency of a lamp type may be very different to that of another type. As we know, among other things, the light bulb, the CFL, fluorescent lamp and LED lamp.

What does the output of a lamp?

The efficiency in the conversion of energy, the ratio between the incoming energy and the energy that is going out, and is actually useful. In the case of a lamp, the incoming energy is greater than the outgoing useful energy. There is often a lot of energy is lost in the form of heat. This is also clearly feel a lamp always feels warm.

What is watt?

W is the physical unit of the energy per unit of time. But what is a physical entity? A familiar example of a unit is the horsepower, the unit of energy. It was calculated how much work could make a horse during a certain time, such as when pulling a horse-drawn tram. Watt is widely used in equipment. When a lamp consumes 100 watts, this means that the lamp consumes 100 joules per second. The joule is the amount of energy that is required to move an object, and distance of about 1 meter, with a force of 1 Newton.

Efficiency of a light bulb, how useful was this outdated light bulb?

Until 2007, the light bulb was produced by Philips. Today, these antiquated lamp has been replaced by other energy efficient lamps. The light bulb was working because electricity in a glass bulb is strongly heated. At a certain temperature, the filament was emitting light. Many bulbs jumps broken during turning. This was due to the fact that the light bulb just got while turning to endure an extra amount of energy. A light bulb went from 1,000 to 1,500 hours with. The efficiency of the bulb was shockingly low: only 5 to 10 percent. A 100 watt light bulb could therefore convert only 5 to 10 watts of light. The remaining 80 to 90 percent disappeared in the form of heat. Incandescent lamps were also very hot. Contact could cause burning of the skin.

Saving: energy saving

Since 1990 CFL has become more popular. This is the bulb eventually replaced altogether. The first lamps that did come on the market not save much energy. Only later versions were significantly more economical. They light up by a fluorescent layer under the influence of ultra-violet radiation. A CFL lasts 5,000 to 10,000 hours. This type of lamp provides a larger amount of light than ordinary light bulb. On average CFL delivers three to five times more light than the bulb. An old 100 watt light bulb could therefore be replaced with a CFL of 23 to 30 watts. Because many fittings are old wattage indicate is / was on many packages of CFLs both the wattage of the CFL as the old wattage of the bulb.
Energy-saving bulbs are fragile in high heat. When they break out frequently toxic gases. This makes CFLs something onprettiger. Energy-saving bulbs have an efficiency of 40 percent. This implies that an energy saving of 30 watts, 12 watts into light and 18 percent is lost as heat. For that reason, may feel hot bulbs, also due to the different material compared to incandescent bulbs.

LED lamp: long life

LED lamps, in production since 1962, are known for their longevity. They go up to 30,000 to 50,000 hours along. LED bulbs give bright light. For a 100 watt light bulb is a LED lamp of 23 watts is sufficient. An LED bulb is comparable to a CFL. However, the LED lamp is still cheaper to use than the CFL. They last longer and have a higher efficiency: an average of 50 percent. An LED lamp of 12 watts so put 6 watts into light. The remaining 6 watts will be lost in the form of heat. To purchase, they are more expensive. But who makes extensive use of the LED lamp earned back within one year.

The fluorescent lamp: high efficiency

Already in 1901 the first forerunner of today's fluorescent lamp or fluorescent tube was used. From 1935 the original model came on the market. A fluorescent lamp is often used in companies or in garages and sheds. It is very light and inexpensive to replace. On average, a fluorescent lamp will last for 18 000 hours. Modern fluorescent lights do go to 84 000 hours with. A fluorescent lamp uses the same principle as the energy saving: they light up a fluorescent layer. Just as the CFL takes therefore some time after switch on before the light output is optimal. Many people think that starting a fluorescent lamp is expensive. This is not true: burning costs more than the starters. It is therefore advantageous to switch between the fluorescent lamp. The efficiency of a fluorescent lamp is high: 65 percent. This fluorescent lamp consumes so little energy.