Blues fall or winter blues?
- The use of a light therapy lamp
- Buy a light therapy lamp
You can at any time of the year begin with light therapy. By applying the match just after waking, your body gets the emphatic sign that the day has begun. The production of melatonin is suppressed, making you feel not so lifeless and dreary after a while. You can use the light therapy lamp later in the day, but it may be that you eventually fall asleep again worse, which means that you should plan to use time previously.
The advice for the period of treatment is daily for at least one week to a maximum of three weeks. To have a lasting effect, it is recommended the maximum period for the first time. Thereafter, it is best to make each month during the winter period to repeat the therapy for 7 to 10 days. However, be new complaints before, so do not wait too long.
The daily operating differs per lamp. Depending on the lamp can even fifteen minutes to two hours total. Namely, the eyes are exposed to intense light, with the degree of light intensity and the appropriate wavelength of light are important. The better this combination with the distance from the eyes to the lamp, the shorter the duration of treatment.
In the beginning of the use of the lamp light therapy, it may be that the eyes have accustomed to the intense light. It is always possible to turn off the lamp a little further on you or stop a little earlier in the session. A next time, the eyes will be less sensitive to the light. Usually subside any mild symptoms such as headache, nausea or tired eyes after a few days.
The lamp is at arm's length angled for you to be placed so that the light falls on the eyes, the way you have to keep it open. It is not necessary to look at the light directly, which occasionally certainly can not hurt. While using the lamp you can just wear glasses or contact lenses and you keep reading, working on the computer or watching TV.
- Medical certification: Does the lamp CE mark, followed by a number? When the number is missing, the lamp is not medically certified and complies therefore with certain medical guidelines.
- Daily operating time and distance required: Skip the specifications or on official manual of the lamp post to monitor the daily life and specific distances. As stated above, may vary the duration of each session between fifteen minutes to two hours. A comfortable and not prohibitive distance to the eye is an arm's length so ?? s 50 to 60 cm.
- Moving the size and convenience of: How much space do you have available where the lamp will be placed and how much space you have to store for the lamp? Must be easy to move the lamp?
- Current: Do you always need a socket or lamp operates with a battery? Do you even always an outlet available? How long the battery provides power?
- Safety for the eyes: How secure is the light for the eyes? UV-light and lamps which use only blue light are in fact harmful to the eyes. Despite the fact that blue light has the best wavelength for light therapy, the risk of eye damage is also higher, but in combination with other colors, there is no more danger. UV light from fluorescent lamps is filtered through the transparent cover for the lamp. Do be careful with it.
However, before you buy one, take your health problems, always check with your doctor, particularly in case you have more or other symptoms, medications used, have an eye disease or have recently had an eye treatment.