The palace is not big enough to celebrate events of format. The birthday of the King on June 24, for example, is held in the Campo del Moro, near the Palacio Real. When officials make a state visit to Spain, they stay in this palace.
The residence of the royal family in this palace is part of necessity. When King Juan Carlos his grandfather, King Alfonso VIII in 1931 Spain fled his already diminished his possessions from him. The current king has an annual allowance granted by parliament. He has no steady income from estates or investment.
This palace was built in the 17th century by order of King Philip IV with the aim of hunting grounds in the hills of Pardo. King Carlos IV has it restored and let adapt the palace to the taste which was then in fashion. The murals in the palace of Bayeu y Maella, the rugs are from the Royal Tapestry Factory.
?? Su Alteza Real Príncipe de Asturias, Don Felipe de Borbópn ??. Crown Prince Felipe de Borbón lives bitches in Zarzuela, but in a private palace on a separate domain.
A large part of the building was designed by King Philip IV as a residence for senior courtiers.
Construction of the palace began in 1629 and in 1643 the palace was ready. The architect was Juan Bautista Crescendi. It has long been used as a royal prison Carcel de la Corte ?? ??. Above the door of the prison state ?? For the comfort and safety of the prisoners ??. Here have been many prisoners awaiting their trials of the Spanish Inquisition. Among these prisoners included:
- Lope de Vega, a playwright who lived from 1563 to 1634. He was arrested for defaming his former lover Elena Osorio.
- Luis Candelas, a Robin Hood figure. He contacted aristocrats and stole their jewelry.
- George Borrow, said a British Bible salesman and writer that it was dark and dirty. According to him, most of the prisoners did not even have a bed to sleep on or a blanket to lie down. However, he managed to escape from this prison.
In 1846 the palace was, after a devastating fire, restored. After that established the Ministry of Overseas Territories in the building. Since 1901 houses here, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In 1940 took place after the civil war of 1936-1939 an extensive renovation place.
The palace is not open to the public.