Magnet toys: the risk of ingestion

Health gman3968 August 8, 2016 0 0
FONT SIZE:
fontsize_dec
fontsize_inc
Magnet toys: the risk of ingestion

Most foreign bodies ingested by children pass through the digestive tract without damage. The magnets can however stop in the digestive tract and produce necrosis, perforation ...

The advent of smaller and more powerful magnets neodymium-iron-boron and their wide use in toys, especially plastic, on lint, or costume jewelry, have increased ingestions in children and their hazards.

10 surgeries to remove the magnets

Toronto pediatricians identified the cases seen in the emergency room of University Hospital from 2002 to 2012.

Of 2722 cases of swallowing, 94 subjects had swallowed a magnet. A diagnosis confirmed in 75 children:

  • 65% were boys;
  • a median age of 4.6 years;
  • 4 had developmental delay.

The removal of the magnets was held under endoscopy in 10 children.

  • 6 children underwent surgery Laparoscopic laparotomy followed in both cases.
  • 3 children suffered intestinal perforation and 2 required a limited resection of the small intestine.

The swallowing of magnets on the rise between 2010 and 2012

The number of intake increased from 10/105 ER visits over 30/105 visits. An incidence rate of 2.94 for a single magnet and an incidence rate of 8.4 per ingestion of multiple magnets.

6 surgeries took place over the period of two years, during which only the volume decreased magnets 260 against 878 mm3 mm3. The median age of the children remained comparable: 4.5 years.

It is therefore advised parents to monitor their young children not to put their toys in their mouths or magnets installed in the kitchen.

Read also: Musical toys: too noisy!

(0)
(0)